Monday, May 25, 2015

Happy Memorial Day!

Happy Memorial Day everyone! I hope you all had a fabulous Memorial Day weekend! My project/tutorial today is in celebration of Memorial Day and all those who sacrificed their lives for this great country-we Thank You!
The technique I am featuring today uses acrylic paint with stencils and what I call stencil masking.  I love to use my stencils in different ways and often combine them to "paint my own picture."   The stamp set from Honey Bee Scraps is No Place Like Home and has the perfect sentiment for this card!

 Let's take a look at the project:



To make the flag background I combined two stencils from The Crafter's Workshop-check out the steps below:


Place your stencil (stripes) atop a 6x6 piece of manila/white 
card stock
 and mask off portion in left hand corner 
(where your stars will be place) with post-it tape.


Secure the stencil and card stock to your work surface with additional
 tape to ensure project does not move while applying the paint to the stencil



Apply red acrylic pain (Ranger Cherry Red) to craft mat.


Using a blending tool with foam, pick up some of the paint and dab
 lightly onto the open
 areas of the stencil until all portions are covered. 
Be careful not to press done too hard while dabbing 
as this will cause bleeding under the stencil.


Dry thoroughly with a heat tool.
  It is essential that the paint is completely 
dry before proceeding to the next step.



Place the stars stencil over the black
 portion of your project and secure with post-it tape.



As above with the red, apply the blue acrylic paint to the open
 areas of the star stencil, taking care not to overlap 
onto the red stripes. 
(You can mask all the way around the stars to prevent any overlap if needed)


Depending on your preference, you can ink over 
the flag with Distress ink (using a blending tool). 
 I used Antique Linen, to give the flag a somewhat vintage look.


To finish off the card, I added the yellow ribbon,
 some die cut stars (painted with the same acrylic paints) and
 of course the sentiment from Honey Bee Scraps stamp 
set "No Place Like Home.


Thanks so much for joining me again this week! Happy Memorial Day! There's no place like home!

Embrace Imperfection!


2 comments:

  1. Wonderful CARD! Perfect to Celebrate Memorial Day! :) Have a Wonderful Day!!!

    Theresa
    Scrappers Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy that being part of the TJ allowed me to find out about you and your blog. This is a wonderful idea. I love patriotic cards and can use this idea - thanks for all your art. It's inspiring.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment